Sunday, January 17, 2010

Inspiration


Just wanted to thank Christian for his blog. It is always an inspirational lift to read his blog and receive a bit of a boost from his writing. We all too often get absorbed in our own trenches, and forget that there is indeed a hoard of good people out there hungering literally for the products we produce.

I spent this past week dealing with the effects of the cold in relation to water. Friday morning took until noon to get the pickups started. 30 some odd below zero and the trucks were sluggish at best. But after a few hours with the weed burner and battery charger, and I had them running. I ran to the feed store for another poultry water can, which he informed me would freeze. Funny man. Then I remembered the wife had asked me to check the kids house while I was in town. The house was quite cold when I walked in, and the sinks were full of frozen water, other wise known as ice. A quick check of the propane tank spoke volumes. So the next two days were spent crawling under the house trying to patch broken pipes. We finally gave up and will re plumb the entire house as soon as time allows. Then on Monday I got a call from the landlord where I raise the pigs. It seems the well regulator had gone out during the night, so I had 350 feet of frozen water hose. So after several hours I had the hose rolled up and thawing in the tub. After replacing the hose the thirsty pigs were happy.

The following day I arrived to feed and guess what was froze up again?

Spring will come. Knowing that there are indeed many folks waiting for the incomparable Berkshire pork helps buoy my spirits.

Thanks again Christian for what you do.

1 comment:

  1. Paul, thanks for the kind words. You have been doing this much longer than me. If anybody is inspiring anybody, it is you inspiring me. You helped me gain the confidence to try out poultry this year.

    I would love to see more small natural farms stick together and help each other out. We will all benefit by sharing experiences and comparing notes. There is another natural farm in your part of the state I have tried to contact, but they are very standoffish. I am happy that we have been able to share ideas and look forward to future interactions.

    ReplyDelete